Security guards are an integral part of any company’s operations. Think about it: we see them every day, and there’s always demand for more security guards out there. So, if you’re interested in pursuing this in-demand career, let’s take a look at How to Become a Security Guard.
How To Become A Security Guard
As with most careers, the first step in fulfilling your dream is to find out what and where you will need to study. When it comes to becoming a security guard, you will need to find a training provider that is accredited with the Safety & Security SETA (SASSETA).
Security guards are graded from A to E, based on their duties and level of responsibility. There are separate training courses for each grade.
- Site manager or commander
- Controlling and managing a number of functions
- Managing the security workforce
- Conducting risk assessments and evaluations on site daily
- Basic investigative skills
- Problem solving
- Designing security solutions
- Access control in high-risk areas where documentation and basic computer skills might be required
- A site or shift commander
- Managing of lower grade security officers
- Possible inspector doing site visits
- Access control of a higher risk area and supervision of lower grade security officers
Grades D & E:
- Access control
Once you have completed your studies, you will then need to register with The Private Security Industry Regulatory Authority (PSIRA) before you can offer security services. The requirements for this are as follows:
- Be 18 years or older
- Be a permanent resident of South Africa
- Not have committed any of the scheduled offences listed in the Private Security Industry Regulation Act
- Have completed training at an accredited training centre
- Not be a member of any official military, security police or intelligence force in South Africa or elsewhere (clearance certificate is required for former members)
There is a once-off registration fee of R160, and an annual fee thereafter of R84.
Then all you have to do is find a job! And that, dear friends, is how you become a security guard.